I’ll be honest, I kind of hate the word self-care. It sounds sort of silly to me. I’ve tried to think of a cooler, more happening word but I keep coming back to self-care.
And no matter how fru-fru woo-woo it sounds, self-care is important. It’s important because we are not robots, we are human people. And when you’re at your best, most relaxed and happiest, you are able to be your best person. So it’s not just for you. It’s for everyone, got it? No one likes a grumpy martyr.
Especially now, with all the crazy stuff that’s happening in the world, self-care is important. Reading the news every day, experiencing the negativity of social media and watching as people fight, argue and take cheap shots at each other can be incredibly taxing.
So you need self-care. You’ve earned it. Even if you haven’t earned it, I promise you deserve it. Here’s 50 ways you can take care of yourself when life isn’t so hot.
- Disconnect from social media
Give yourself a few days of not checking social media. Take time off. It’ll benefit you, I promise.
2. Turn on your best dancing music and have a dance party
The crazier the better.
3. Take a bath
Get out some bath salts, maybe a glass of wine and relax.
4. Go for a walk. Or a run.
Experts agree that even a little exercise can do you good. So listen to an uplifting podcast or some music or just enjoy the world around you (I know, I’m talking crazy) and go for a walk around your neighborhood.
5. Take a nap
Even if you don’t have time, set your timer for 20 minutes and snuggle in bed.
Find a comfy spot, close your eyes and breath. Even if it’s just for 5 minutes give it a shot.
7. Write down your feelings
Set your timer for 10 minutes and write whatever you want. Your feelings, what you’re grateful for, whatever. Bitchy thoughts about family members. This is your time.
8. Relive a happy memory
Have a memory that gives you joy? Think about it. Sit back and try to remember it, including all the details. Write it out if you think it’ll help.
9. Watch a comfort food show
What show is comfort food for you? I like to go back and watch my favorite episodes of Friends. It’s like visiting with old friends.
10. Call someone you haven’t talked to in a while
Make a connection with someone you have let slide out of your life. I love talking to my friends I haven’t chatted with for a while. Calling my old college friends is a great way to return to a time that I loved in my life. Usually a story about a stupid thing we did comes up.
11. Listen to your favorite music
Music can change our whole outlook. Go back and listen to a song that you used to love as a kid.
12. Do something that makes you feel utterly stupid
This may sound crazy but sometimes letting go of your inhibitions can make you feel more free. So do something crazy. Something outrageous! Go outside and scream. Or dance all crazy. Or make snow angels on your carpet. Pump your fists in the air like you’re at a rock concert.
13. Forgive someone who did something to you in the last week
Forgive that person who stole your parking space or was rude to you at work or who posted something that annoyed the ever loving bejesus out of you on Facebook. Wallowing in their horribleness is not going to make you feel better. So forgive that poor stupid soul. They don’t deserve your time, your energy, your essence.
14. Write a grateful list
You’re alive! Yay!
15. Give someone a hug
16. Watch a funny video and record yourself laughing
Then watch that.
17. Imagine stupid scenarios
If everyone was gay who would be good with who? Where would you want to live if you could live anywhere in the world? If you had to live in the past, what era would you choose?
18. Get out some colored pencils or crayons and a coloring book and go to town
All those adult coloring books have to be popular for a reason.
19. Tell someone you love them
20. Get yourself a cup of tea or a glass of wine and snuggle in on the couch
21. Eat whatever you want
22. Read a good trashy novel
23. Plan a trip
Even if you don’t take it, go crazy, have fun.
24. Bake something without a recipe
Thumbs up if it ends up being edible.
25. Wave your hands in the air like you just don’t care
26. Send someone an email telling them why you love them
27. Light a candle
28. Take care of something that’s been bothering you
Do you have something you’ve been staring at that needs to be done? An unpaid parking ticket? A phone call you need to made? A box that needs to be put in storage? Do it.
29. Get a massage
30. Go to a yoga class
Those people are very serious about breathing and relaxing and being present in the moment.
31. Eat a fancy dinner
32. Go to a restaurant you’ve never tried before
33. Go to your favorite restaurant
34. Physically pat yourself on the back
35. Analyze what makes you feel happiest and most like yourself
Most of us don’t think about this stuff, where are you at your most content? What are you doing? Think about it and do it.
36. Listen to an inspiring podcast
37. Change into your most comfortable clothes
Sweats baby! No bra. Go crazy.
38. Watch something funny
A movie, a TV show, a comedy special, that little kid who isn’t sure if this is real life. Whatever makes you laugh.
39. Get to your closest nature
Go to a lake, a beach, the mountains, a good hiking trail, a nice park. Your closest version of nature.
40. Do a spa day at home.
Paint your nails. Or deep condition your hair. Or take a shower, put on your robe and some slippers and relaaaaax.
41. Flip through a fun magazine
Don’t read any of the depressing articles.
42. Have sex or masturbate
Orgasms are a good emotional release.
43. Smile at yourself in the mirror
44. Make a list of things that make you feel better. Or good things in the world.
Making this list right now is already improving my mood.
45. Doll yourself up and venture out into the world like a confident bad ass
46. Create something you think is beautiful. Or ugly.
47. Accept a fake award for yourself and then give yourself a round of applause
Try it.Extra points if you find a prop to use as your fake award.
48. Sing along to a song
Doesn’t have to be good. Do it off-key. Doesn’t matter.
49. Watch a motivational TED Talk
50. Go to your happy place
I love a good library or book store. Being surrounded by books makes me happy! But you may like the shooting range, a quiet diner, a rock climbing wall, a yoga class, a bowling alley, the dumpster behind a Whole Foods. Wherever it is, go to that place.
Do something nice for yourself. At the very least carve out a little time for you to sit back, relax and breath. It’ll help make the world a better place.
What’s your favorite thing to do for self-care? Let us know in the comments below.